— Roberto Assagioli
Unforgiveness is, in a sense, the regular and ongoing maintenance of old pain.
Forgiveness, on the other hand, is claiming back the power that was stolen from you. Forgiveness is:
- Not allowing the person that hurt you to continue to do so for the rest of your life
- Being courageous
- Loving yourself.
- Finding peace
- Can be hard to do, but that’s ok.
As such, forgiveness is ultimately about you and not about the offender.
- YOU are the one who can free yourself from the hurt, anger, resentment, and vengeance.
- YOU have to make a choice (sometimes daily) to release resentment and let go of past hurts.
- YOU have the power to decide to move on to a better future.
Forgiveness can benefit your mind and body. Studies have shown that forgiveness reduces rates of anxiety and depression, contributes to better sleep, and lowers blood pressure and cholesterol.
Learn to let go and set yourself free to live the life you were meant to be.
Don’t let unforgiveness hijack your future. Let forgiveness highlight your journey instead!
Fred Tokè aka Dr. Tokèmon